Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Cajun Chicken Soup

So I came back from my family gathering with the Christmas yuck. Most likely from my dear big brother who was hacking and coughing the whole time. Yay.

I've felt like doing little other than sitting on the couch and crocheting. Oh, and I made some chicken soup. It was so good even the hubs, who doesn't usually like soups, enjoyed it.

So, even though this is a blog primarily about crocheting, I thought I'd share my soup recipe with you. Maybe you can crochet a potholder or something to use when cooking this soup.

Cajun Chicken Quinoa Barley Soup


Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped (I often use frozen chopped onions when not feeling well or in a hurry)
12 baby carrots, chopped into halves or thirds
4 boneless, skinless chicken tenderlions, whole
1/3 cup uncooked barley
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
32 oz. chicken broth (I prefer low sodium)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tbsp. cajun seasoning
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix all ingredients into a stovetop pot or slow cooker. If using a slow cooker, you may wish to add up to two additional cups of broth. In slow cooker, place on low and allow to cook for 4 hours. For stovetop pot, place on medium heat and bring to a boil.

2. When chicken is cooked through, remove to cutting board and shred with fork. Return to pot or slow cooker.

3. Simmer soup until grains and vegetables are tender. 

We usually eat this with grilled cheese sandwiches! MMM.

For those interested in nutritional facts, this recipe contains:
Per 1 cup serving:
129 calories
1 g. fat
26 g. carbs
5 g. protein
469 g. sodium
4 g. sugar

For lower sodium, use a low- or no-sodium cajun seasoning.

I hope you enjoy this warm, hearty soup this winter. I sure have!

No comments:

Post a Comment